Commercial uncertainty: China, Brexit, and maritime market fundamentals
- What does the present uncertainty in global trade relationships mean for the shipping industry?
- Is shipping overcapacity still a significant issue for shipping?
- What is the likely future direction of travel for asset values?
- What is the outlook for oil prices and their potential impact for the industry?
- The new IMO sulphur regime is the biggest fuel revolution for 100 years. Is the industry ready and what is the future for alternative fuels such as LNG and renewables?
- Can the industry commit to a carbon-free future, when the roadmap for achieving it is not yet clearly established?
Artificial Intelligence/Block-Chain Technologies and Maritime Trade
- How well have the shipping and logistics sectors adapted to new technologies compared to other industries?
- Which of the new technological solutions are closest to adoption and which are further away than most people think?
- Are the regulatory and legal systems keeping pace with the introduction of new technologies?
- Are the benefits of new technology and the cyber security risk in balance?
- How will AI, automation and other digital systems impact the human element in shipping?
Globalisation and Consolidation: Two Irreversible Trends for the Industry
- Is the move towards consolidation likely to accelerate in the future and, if so, which sectors are most likely to be affected?
- Does the future of shipping belong more to large public companies or family-owned private ones?
- Will trading companies move towards the ownership of shipping assets and will state-owned shipping company become more common?
- Is shipping a good industry to invest in?
- What is the next stage in the globalisation of shipping and logistics?
Regional Maritime Growth and Trade Opportunities
- The scale and nature of the region’s development as a world class international maritime and logistics centre
- Key commercial partnerships and the potential for future growth in trade with China and the Indian Sub-Continent
- Accelerating the development of the north/south axis and Africa’s potential as a trading partner
- The regional response to operating challenges on security, the environment and human resources